Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Vacation Day #10: How?

I pay attention to the crime novels that get a lot of pre-publication buzz. It's both an essential part of my job, and a perk.

Recently there was a lot of buzz about The Cartel by Don Winslow. I'd read an earlier book of his and loved it. I looked forward to reading this new one; there were comparisons to The Godfather by Mario Puzo (a seminal book in my crime reading eduction.)




I started it pretty near pub date, then set it down for something else.  During this vacation, I picked it back up again thinking I'd have a block of time to finish a 600+ page tome.

And set it down again at page 200. (I'd started over again cause I'd lost track of the plot in the intervening weeks.)

There wasn't a single character I cared about, there seemed to be no depth of character at all. No sense of these characters as real people.  And the violence, dear god, the violence.

I decided to put this on on the stack of "did not finish" rather than invest another 12+ hours in the remaining 400 pages.

How much time, how many pages do you give a book before saying "nope, not gonna finish."

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar