Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Is anyone else excited about the Grace Coddington Memoir?

I love looking at pictures of Grace Coddington when she was younger. She was so beautiful - but more then that, she captured a decade perfectly.

If you have watched the September Issue then you will know that Coddington started her life in fashion as a model when she applied for a teenage model competition in Vogue. She went on to become one of the biggest models of the 60s and 70s.
I'm so excited for her memoir which comes out next year. I mean I can't wait....hopefully it's going to be nice and juicy......
Anyway, Grace spoke recently about how much modelling has changed since her day.

'Unlike now, when everything is done for them, a model back then had to apply her own eyeliner, shape her brows, and put on her lipstick. She also had to set and style her own hair, back-comb it and fold it into a neat chignon, or make the ends curl outward in the look of the time, the “flick-up.” Makeup artists and hairdressers who specialized in photo shoots were completely nonexistent. Each model was expected to own a model bag, and what she put into it was terribly important.'

It seems like back in the day, models had to do their own make-up and hair as my job didn't exist back then it seems! Also each model had a bag, Grace revealed that in hers, she carried pennies for phones, maps, diaries, food, hair pins, make-up and a sewing kit!

'My particular thing was to draw an extra-wide stroke emphasizing the crease of the eye socket and add extravagantly long, spidery lines below the eye, a little like doll’s lashes, then paint a dot toward the inner corner for reasons I can’t exactly articulate except that it looked nice and “now.” Later I discovered my crazy new eyelash look being called “twiglets” and credited to the young British model Twiggy. Well, they were very much mine. I was probably doing them before she was born!'

Interesting!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar